Saturday 10 July 2010

South to North in 28 Hours

As the blog title suggests we have spent a lot of time travelling. I have been to Bangkok a number of times now and I was in no hurry to return. We had originally planned to spend the night in Krabi and go north the following morning but when we arrived at the dock in Krabi after the 1 and a half hour boat trip, we were told we would have enough time to catch the evening bus to Bangkok. We had to get them to take us into Krabi town to pick up Bri's sunglasses that she had made and managed to get back to the bus station in time to head up north. We were taken to a restaurant where we had to wait for half an hour before being loaded onto a pickup truck and taken 10 minutes down the road to another restaurant. Eventually we got on the big bus to take us north and I watched Avatar and the first Lord of the Rings film - without sound - and at 1.30am we stopped at yet ANOTHER restaurant. I was getting pretty annoyed at this point, especially when I was told I should buy food since this would be the last stop before we arrived in Bangkok at 6am. I tried to politely explain to him that on a normal night, I don't wake up at 1.30am for some food.

We finally got to Bangkok at about 7.00am and jumped into a tuk-tuk to go straight to the train station. Fortunately we didn't have to wait long before our train, which would take 12 hours to reach Chiang Mai. We finally arrived in Chiang Mai around 9.00pm and found a cheap guest house. I was completely exhausted and was thankful for the bed! Slept in a bit the following morning and set out to find a trekking trip that suited what we were after. There are loads of "Tourist" treks costing around 20 pounds for 3 days and very few "Non-Tourist" treks which are at least 3 times as much! Saying that though, I essentially did the tourist one last year in Kanchanaburi and had no wish to do it again. So we opted for the expensive one and are due to leave tomorrow. Today then and we spent all this morning learning how to cook!

That's right a cooking course. It was excellent fun and I made pad see uw, a fried thick noodle dish, then some sping rolls before trying stir fried hot basil and then khaw soi curry. Safe to say I am absolutely stuffed now and probably wont need to eat again today! The khaw soi curry is supposed to be a local dish which is basically a red curry but with curry powder in it as well. It tasted really good and we were showed the "special ingredient" which made it even better! I will have to cook for people when I eventually come home.

So a short post today but this is because I will be on a 3 day trek from tomorrow morning and I hope to have much to say when I get back!

No comments: